[SML] wireless com that I don't hate

Andy Lang andy at soundguyandy.com
Sun Sep 25 20:17:38 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 9:55 PM Brian Munroe via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I’ve finally gotten to use a wireless com system that I don’t hate – the
> ClearCom FreeSpeak II.   I’m just a dopey carpenter, but usually I hate all
> the wireless systems, especially the digital ones.  This one is different.

Yeah, ClearCom finally got it mostly right, although it's not without it's
issues, having beat on it a bit as a sub and part of the load-in crew on
Paramour. One, as mentioned, is cost. The other is that there are some very
specific limits to how many beltpacks can be used in any given overlapping
coverage area, and how many per antenna.

(Their antennas are active things that pair to beltpacks, and and can only
allow a certain number per antenna, and then a certain number of antennas
per system, and a certain number of everything grand total per overlapping
area. So it's...complicated.)

But yeah, when they're a good solution, they're fantastic. And HelixNet,
their wired digital beltpack system, is super slick, too. And friendlier to
set up and use than Riedel, which has been on a handful of shows the last
few years.

-Andy