[SML] wireless com that I don't hate

Wayne Rasmussen rasmuw at blair.edu
Sun Sep 25 21:18:24 UTC 2016

>>glad to hear this . . I have $ 20k worth of FreeSpeak II gear on its way
! ! !

> I've finally gotten to use a wireless com system that I don't hate, the
Clear-Com FreeSpeak II.   I'm just a dopey carpenter, but usually I hate
all the wireless systems, especially the digital ones.  This one is
different.  Here is what it doesn't do that most wireless com does:

> It doesn't turn on the mic accidentally when I bend over
> It doesn't change the volume if I brush up against something or my shirt
moves (the volume control is recessed in to the pack)
> It doesn't fall off my belt or my pocket; it has a slight curve to the
pak and hugs my hip
> It isn't heavy.  I hardly know I'm wearing it
> The featherweight headset our sound team ordered doesn't give me a
headache after 10 hours of tech
> It doesn't drop out when I go to the basement, or outside the stage
door, or to FOH (I'm sure thats more of proper antennae placement than
anything else)
> It has plenty of volume

We've just purchased an Eartec wireless intercom with four headsets to
interface into our Clear-Com wired system.  I've tested it but not under
show conditions yet.   What I've found so far:

The mic on the Max4G single ear headsets turns off when the mic is rotated
to vertical.  If you want to switch ears, keep rotating the mic around the
circle and flip the headset around.  I haven't tried wearing them for 10
hours but these headsets are reasonably light and comfortable.  The
beltpack is curved and is also quite light.  Volume buttons are recessed.
I don't yet know if it will work in the basement, but the previous system
we had, also Eartec, a hand-me-down from the football team, did not.
Volume is good, even with my hearing impairment and no hearing aid in my
ear.

The cost?  Under $2500 for the system.  The only thing I need to provide
is a mic cable to plug the interface into our wired system.  Our budget
for four to five shows a year isn't $15K.

Wayne Rasmussen
Blair Academy