[SML] Solenoids

Jon Lagerquist jon at lagerquist.com
Tue Sep 27 19:09:27 UTC 2016

Matt,

The range of options are large. My first advice is to not have the load
on the actual solenoid shaft but to connect a piece that can be support
to take the side load. This could be a piece of steel, cable, plastic or
combination of more than one. This can be supported on both sides of the
load, and the supports can make sure the string gets pulled off the
shaft. I like a small shaft on a length of cable that is sized so the
shaft pulls clear of the near side support when retracted, which pretty
much eliminates the snag and not falling but when is it going to fall
issue. The cable also means you can isolate the solenoid into a sound
enclosure.

Cable also provides the option to route the pull around things and back
on itself when doing drops with multiple points. And it allows you to
stack multiple control lines quite closely.

Given the option I prefer to use an air cylinder as my source of power,
they can develop a fair amount of force and getting a 3" stroke is easy.
And they can be very quite.

However it is controlled it is possible to have operators tap the switch
and release it faster than the unit can activate. I have used various
relays to ensure an appropriate activation time. But the best is to
teach the operator to "push the button all the way down and hold it."

On 9/27/2016 11:43 AM, Matthew Whiten via Stagecraft wrote:
> All,
>
>       I'm venturing into the world of solenoids for the first time. I'm
> looking to use them to drop objects from the grid. So probably an 8-16
> oz. load applied at 90 degrees to the shaft movement. Basically a loop
> of sting holding the object slides off the end of the shaft, object
> drops to ground.
>
>       Does anyone have any advice/pitfalls to avoid? Are there quiet
> solenoids out there, or do they all have that snap/click when they get
> powered.
>
> Any wisdom is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt