[SML] Solenoids

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Tue Sep 27 22:15:38 UTC 2016

On 09/27/2016 12:09 PM, Jon Lagerquist via Stagecraft wrote:
> Matt,
>
> The range of options are large. My first advice is to not have the
> load on the actual solenoid shaft but to connect a piece that can be
> support to take the side load. This could be a piece of steel, cable,
> plastic or combination of more than one. This can be supported on both
> sides of the load, and the supports can make sure the string gets
> pulled off the shaft. I like a small shaft on a length of cable that
> is sized so the shaft pulls clear of the near side support when
> retracted, which pretty much eliminates the snag and not falling but
> when is it going to fall issue. The cable also means you can isolate
> the solenoid into a sound enclosure.

Another way of doing this is with a long tongue hinge like used for a
gate.  The tip of the tongue rides on the shaft, the load is looped
around the tongue back by the hinge part.  The short tongue is attached
to something solid.

The mechanical advantage of this allows a quite heavy weight to be
dropped with a small load on the solenoid shaft.  You could custom make
a pivoting shaft quite long and have a VERY heavy load held up with
almost all of the load on the pivot end.

--
Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
www.interstellar.com