[SML] Solenoids

Chad Croteau ccroteau at start.ca
Tue Sep 27 23:45:43 UTC 2016

HI Matt,

Everything Jon said I agree with wholeheartedly, and will add that you need
to not only consider the "clunk" at the end of the solenoid's travel, but
the possibility that it will give off a buzz or hum at the end of it's
travel.  Sometimes it's small, but I've used larger solenoids where it
sounded like a hockey arena buzzer.

I think Jon's idea of pneumatic cylinders is sage advice, as was the idea
presented by Nigel W. about using car door locking mechanisms.  My idea to
throw in the ring would be the door-holder electromagnets used in so many
buildings nowadays.  Quiet, strong and release the second power is cut to
the unit.

Hope this helps,

Chad