[SML] old camera gear

Dave Tosti-Lane davetostilane at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 16:53:23 UTC 2016

They did make an adaptor like that in the early days if digital camera
experimentation, I remember seeing it written up in a photography
magazine. It never did catch on because it cost about as much to make
as the digital camera itself, and it was always a compromise. Sensors
then were pretty primitive - and getting the sensor plane in the right
place was tricky. The adaptor had to replace the whole backplate of
the camera, and was bulky.
There's a guy who has been trying to get backing on indegogo for a
long time, but it appears he's almost an infinite distance from his
goal.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/digipod#/

In the long run, it's probably a chimera rather than a camera. Modern
digital camera design has surpassed the older film cameras in almost
every way, and in the end, you can still use film and a high end
scanner to have the best of both worlds if you must. But, honestly,
I've been working with some of my Hasselblad negatives from years ago,
doing very high resolution scans to raw files for photoshop and
lightroom recently. When I stand even one of my PanAtomicX or Illford
Pan F negatives up against an image shot with my D810, there's really
no defending the notion that film is somehow "better".
If I do the same with any of my older color images shot at ISO over
100, there is no contest.

Hasselblad and Leaf among others make digital backs that can attach to
older removable back film cameras, and I'm occasionally tempted by the
50 or 100 megapixel backs, but then I notice the price tag and
remember that I've only got a couple of lenses for the Hasselblad, and
that I could buy a brand new 600mm f2.8 Nikon lens for the same amount
and have enough left over to pick up 3 or 4 additional lenses. Or, you
know, eat for two or three years.

Dave Tosti-Lane