[SML] Making a phone ring and it's handset speaker work on stage

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Wed Sep 28 17:50:05 UTC 2016

A lot of PBX systems use 24V to get around safety standards (safety
extra low voltage), some even try using 12 but that's not good.

Phones were supposed to only detect AC and reject DC so that tapping
(pulse (rotary) dialing) didn't make the bell ring.  I found that
designing to that spec upset a lot of PBX makers.

(former chief rocket scientist at a company that made central office
test gear)

--
Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
www.interstellar.com