[SML] Making a phone ring and it's handset speaker work on stage

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Thu Sep 29 02:16:03 UTC 2016

>> I’m also concerned 90v would do bad things to the audio console so I may
>> run a separate system just to feed the handset.
>>
>> This effect is only a couple of minutes long so it’s a lot of work to make
>> it practical.

I wouldn't take the risk - regardless of how small. Plus, as you noted, it is
a lot of work for a possible minor "improvement" in perceived audio
positioning.

If the audio is run to the handset at a level that the actor can tolerate,
then a large share of the audience will not be able to understand what is
being said - and may not even hear anything at all.

If it were me, I would insist on placing a small speaker/monitor somewhere
close to the phone location. Except for the higher volume, no one in the
audience will be able to tell that the sound is not coming from the handset.

Bill