[SML] 36" diameter sphere

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Wed Sep 28 19:56:55 UTC 2016

>Jeffrey Kanyuck <JKanyuck at harford.edu> wrote:
>
>What if you carve your own out of a couple layers of foam?

I don¹t know where you¹re located, but we have a local timber frame
company that makes their own panels.  From them we¹ve been able to get
expanded polystyrene in almost any volume and they charge us by the
board-foot.  For a 36² diameter sphere we¹d probably order a 36² diameter
cube, so 324 board-feet.  We¹d then shape that into a sphere.  We¹ve done
2¹ diameter spheres that way.  We used a combination of hot wire, hot
knife, surform and electric sanders and they came out OK.

To take a different tack, is something inflatable an option? A yoga ball?
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/JumpSport-40-Inch-Gigantic-Red-Ball/dp/B002VRGFKO

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.