[SML] 36" sphere

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:41:01 UTC 2016

On 9/29/16 6:46 PM, Joe D via Stagecraft wrote:
> "Bill Schaffell" <info at wjsstudios.com> wrote
>
>> I have been using weather balloons
>> for 30 years as scenic elements
>
> I imagine the beach-balls are less prone to puncture. Though, latex balloons, are surprisingly rugged if they are not fully inflated.   I also imagine the balloons are also smoother in appearance, especially when back-lit.  An advantage I can see for the vinly beach-balls, is that they can be deflated and stored for an extended period and then reused. Whereas, I think balloons are more of a one-event deal, and don't have a shelf life of years.
>
> Do you have any experience with vinyl beach-ball type, to compare them?

I don't have experience with vinyl beach-ball type, but here's my
experience with latex balloons.

We had some 6-7' balloons for an event.  At full inflation, they could
take repeated hits from the Genie outriggers, mast and basket (those
suckers are hard to maneuver at that size) without puncturing.  After a
full weekend of inflation, they were still fully inflated at strike, and
able to weather those same hits on the way down.  We carefully deflated
them, and I was able to reuse them later to fill up the office of the
guy who had the idea to use them in the first place.

TL:DR -- rugged, and able to be used at least twice.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall