[SML] Solenoids

Paul G. pguncheon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 20:59:53 UTC 2016

Granted, pneumatic cylinders do work well for releasing. However, one must consider that one will need a source of compressed air, hoses, and some sort of switching mechanism for each drop. If one has to release one or two things, no big deal. However, I once did a show with over 50 different releases. Pneumatics were not even considered simply due to the amount of hoses and fittings we would have needed. I also did a commercial in which I had to individually drop over a dozen rubber coconuts. Again, solenoids were the obvious choice.

I had to drop 4 tall banners in an opera. I went with pneumatics due to the sound issue. I ended up building individual tanks and rather complex release mechanisms as the tenor had to have the option of physically pulling the banners down. In any event, the pneumatics added more than several days to the build, if memory serves. So while pneumatics might be less expensive, they're not necessarily cheaper... and solenoid a much easier to set up, not that pneumatics are all that difficult.

Laters,

Paul 1

Sent from my iPad