[SML] Floor plans of black box/studio theatres they really like?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Tue Apr 18 20:41:48 UTC 2017

Howdy all... I'm putting together a "wish list" of sorts (pipe dreams,
really) for potentially a new black box/studio theatre....
purpose-built, rather than a re-purposed space.  I'm digging through
my notes and drawings from when my current building was in the design
mode, and I can't find the proposals the architects and theatre
consultants pitched, when there was a discussion of building the black
box from scratch. It was a pretty good design, but I just can't find
it.  Anyway, no big deal.

Does anyone have any floor plans of spaces they really thought worked
well? Good audience egress, good access for the actrons and scenery...
good circulation and very flexible (but not in a "It's flexible
because of all the awesome moving walls and elevators and other
kinetic things that break" kind of way).....

I'd love to see and hear what you thought made a space work well.
(Not terribly interested in rehashing the thousands of "Don't do what
so-and-so did - worst theatre ever" stories... we all have those
stories, and have all worked in those spaces. Particularly interested
in the "They did this right" or "This was clever/successful" stories.)

 - Jon

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com