[SML] Source 4 Power and LED Cabling

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:55:17 UTC 2017

On 4/24/17 10:00 AM, David Fox via Stagecraft wrote:

> Alf asks a good question that I would like to answer. The short
> answer is because Inrush is different than max draw.
>
> Lemme explain: Unlike a traditional incandescent source, when you
> first power any driver or ballasted fixture ( like an  LED) there is
> a spike in power consumption that exceeds normal operating power
> consumption.

So what's causing this spike?  And where do all those extra electrons
go?  Especially since the fixture isn't outputting at that point.

Steve L.

Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
302/831-0601                University of Delaware