[SML] Source 4 Power and LED Cabling

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Mon Apr 24 14:57:45 UTC 2017

https://adlt.com.au/technology/%EF%BB%BFled-driver-inrush-currents/

-----Original Message-----
From: Stagecraft [mailto:stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net] On Behalf Of Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2017 9:55 AM
To: Stagecraft Mailing List <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
Cc: Stephen Litterst <litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SML] Source 4 Power and LED Cabling

On 4/24/17 10:00 AM, David Fox via Stagecraft wrote:

> Alf asks a good question that I would like to answer. The short answer
> is because Inrush is different than max draw.
>
> Lemme explain: Unlike a traditional incandescent source, when you
> first power any driver or ballasted fixture ( like an  LED) there is a
> spike in power consumption that exceeds normal operating power
> consumption.

So what's causing this spike?  And where do all those extra electrons go?  Especially since the fixture isn't outputting at that point.

Steve L.

Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
302/831-0601                University of Delaware