[SML] Theatre-in-the-Round Productions

Miller, Daniel DaMiller at dwu.edu
Tue Apr 25 18:36:14 UTC 2017

Great info. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel

From: Stagecraft [mailto:stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net] On Behalf Of John Taylor via Stagecraft
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:32 PM
To: Miller, Daniel via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
Cc: John Taylor <jt at techie.com>
Subject: Re: [SML] Theatre-in-the-Round Productions

I had the honor of getting my feet wet in real theatre with an amazing lady, Irma Schira Tucker. From the day she founded City Players of St Louis in 1937 till her death at the age of 90 in 1993, she lived and breathed theatre. More important to this message she loved doing theatre in the round. Sometimes it might have been only 90%  round but it was always special. Irma did sometimes use traditional proscenium staging but only when there was no other option. I started working with her in the 60's when I was in high school and worked with her off and on for many years. We did shows in a number of locations through the years. From the rooftop of the downtown YMCA, to the rose garden of Shaw's Botanical garden, to the rotunda of the old courthouse in downtown St Louis and on the entrance plaza to the gym of East St Louis Sr High School.
Working with many different designers through all those years we all learned a lot about doing it in the round from each other and from Irma. We did almost every show or type of show you can imagine including many world premiers. Irma had a special relationship with Samuel French and we produced many original and several world premiers. So there often was no precedent to look at. In all her years of directing she only repeated a show one time with City Players (she did occasionally use a show at the high school that had been done with City Players). The reason for that was we had such a huge demand 2 years after doing it that she finally agreed to stage it again. That is one of the shows that was done in 90% round. The set had 3 small overlapping flats at the 12 o'clock position on the stage.

Sometimes the location was picked because of the show, Some of the shows that come to mind and I will try to put location with them if I can:
Old Courthouse: An Enemy Of The People, Julius Caesar, Agamemnon and Clytemnestra, Our Town, Look Back In Anger
Rose Garden at Botanical Garden: The Dolls House, The Cherry Orchid
Concrete plaza in front of high school gym: Imaginary Invalid, One Act Play Fesitval
Old insurance building turned into arts school: Many shows there as it became home for many years, Oldest Living Graduate, Seascape (the only repeated show), Bus Stop, Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum, and many, many more.

When we would ask Irma how can we do this show in the round? She would always tell us, Use your mind!

Somewhere I have a couple of pics that I will see if I can find from those years. Heading into tech now so it will be a while before I can search for them.

JT