[SML] Pipe Unit Numbering for Corporate Event Plots

Scott C. Parker scparker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 02:17:41 UTC 2017

Hi All,
I've always numbered my units on pipes from stage left to right with each
unit getting a number starting with 1 and ending with the last unit. Thus,
giving me a total number of units per pipe. Each pipe starting with unit
#1, etc. Traditional theater type numbering.

Now that I'm doing more corporate event lighting, I'm getting a bit of push
back on this style of numbering. The preference seems to be calling each
unit a "fixture" and using just the "fixture" number, aka "Channel" number
in place of my traditional theater style unit numbering.

I've been placing the channel (fixture) number in a rather large oval and
my unit number in the body. I'm told "this is still confusing to the crew
at venues."

So, what is the current norm for events? I'm resistant to losing unit
numbers. (couldn't ya tell?)

​

--
Thanks,
Scott

Scott C. Parker
Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430  Cell 718-757-6661
http://twitter.com/stageseminars
https://www.linkedin.com/in/lightingdesigner
USA829, IES, PLASA, USITT, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician