[SML] Labels for cable, best stickiness? Brands? etc...

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Apr 27 03:40:48 UTC 2017

WIth brand new cables, there is still mold release agent on the outside
of the cable and nothing removable will stick for long.  After the mold
release agent has worn off the cable, then mmany of the stickers will
stick just fine, for a short while.

What I've seen work for show specific labeling is to apply a wrap of
gaff tape around the cable, so the tape overlaps itself.  Then put the
label with the information on the gaff tape.    I've also seen clear
packing tape or gaff tape (usually with a courtesy tab) stuck to the
connector and the label stuck on top of that.  These stick on reliably
and are easy to remove during the deprep after the show is done.

   FOr a longer term gig, such parts of your house rep plot or for a
longish tour, I'd invest in those self laminating cable labels that
companies like Panduit make.   Run them through your printer with the
provided software for the various labels and they print up nice, and if
you put in a courtesy tab, they come off easily.

    I'm also a big fan of color coding.  you have a prerig truss rig, by
using a ring of one inch colored gaff and a ring of half inch color gaff
on top of it, you have just created 100 unique combinations of colors
with only ten colors of gaff tape for your multicables.  Adding another
layer of 2 inch colored tape underneath and now you have a thousand
unique three color codes.  Wrap the stack of colored tape with clear
packing tape for a long tour to keep the things from peeling off to
easily.

  All the crew just have to plug the blue/orange multicable into the
blue/orange dimmer outlet.   No literacy or common language needed,
which is important if your tour goes international, or your local hires
are illiterate.   You do need crew who are not colorblind. Of course,
colorblind electricians often remove themselves from the workforce in a
darwinian fashion.

Dale