[SML] E-programs instead of printed programs?

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 15:32:55 UTC 2017

> The whole conversation came up because I wondered about dispensing
> with the whole layout, head shots, interviews, articles, ADS, etc that
> have gone into our programs over the years.

	Since the subject was about going to a “Digital Program” wouldn’t that still have head shots and all that anyway? Maybe I’m confused and you’re talking about some entirely different beast, but if it’s still a program but digital, I’d expect the elements to all still need to be produced.

> I am the only one
> experienced in layout, offset printing, and all that 20th century
> stuff, and I'm no longer going to do that....  if we're still going to
> print, then they still need all that other stuff.

	I publish a small magazine / newsletter for a club I belong to, as well as an occasional show program. I do the layout in InDesign. The print newsletter had dwindled to only a handful - I output a PDF which most members get by eMail or on a website. For those few that still need or prefer a print version, I use a Xerox machine. The new ones provide an amazing print - including the photographs.

	Depending on the quantity you actually need, Xerox or Digital printing might be cost effective - Only print as many as You are fairly sure you will need - then print a few more during the run of the show if it turns out you need more.

	Simpler and more responsive as compared to Offset. It might be a middle path - an option between ditching print and 20th century technology. Welcome to the 21st Century!

	( I used to design for Offset and screen photos back when “Clip Art” was actually Clipped out go the page, and “Cut and Paste” were meant literally! I still have my waxer and Exacto Knife. )

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.