[SML] OSHA 10/30 Safety & Health for the Entertainment Industry

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 18:49:31 UTC 2017

The IATSE Training Trust started offering an OSHA 10, free to anyone working under a CBA that contributes to the trust, in various locations around the country a couple of years ago. The 30 can be obtained online for about $125. I'm more concerned that you actually have to put in the 30 hours rather than just pass the test - should be about the knowledge not how long you're sitting on the computer.

IIRC, this was adapted from similar language that's in place in a city - perhaps Chicago?? Nevada is the first state to do it. It's akin to having a cosmetology license for a touring hairdresser, or teaching license for the tutor, or forklift/AWP/scissor certs. I'd love to see ESTA be accepted also - there are already employers requiring it and IA is encouraging anyone who qualifies to take the exam.

It goes to changing the culture of "just get it done" to "we're doing to do this safely." And it does apply to anyone working in the state. The 14 days are cumulative, do not need to be contiguous, and heaven only knows how they are tracking that.

Kristi R-C