[SML] Looking to build a dowser for an office projector, simple and cheap

gbierly gbierly at dejazzd.com
Mon Feb 6 20:30:04 UTC 2017

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 3:12 PM, Chris Clarke via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> We especially need to block the annoying ‘video black’ rectangle for an upcoming show.
>
> I’ve seen the DMX controlled dowser/flags like one offered by City Theatrical. Someone told me about a homebrew dowser made from the CD drawer mechanism of an old tower PC. Wireless control is nice, but wired would work just fine for our purposes this time out.
>
> Does anyone here know where to find such a thing, or plans for one?

We made a couple here but then saved up and bought 5 dowsers from http://www.bakerwood.com/

DMX controlled and very reliable.  The problem we had with the cd trays is there was a delay on the opening of the tray (closing of the shutter).  All we did was remove the drive from the computer, rigged a power supply and soldered leads onto the open/close switch.  We created a simple controller with multiple momentary switches and ran all the control through scrap wire and molex connectors.  A piece of blackwrap/gaff over the CD tray to block the light and then a few pipe fittings to rig the whole thing.  As I said Bakerwood has a great product for far less than any other DMX controllable dowser I had seen and the opening and closing can be written right into the lighting cues.  We have also run them from a small 6 channel DMX controller for simpler control.  Feel free to PM me if you need any further description.

Greg Bierly
Performing Arts Center Manager
Hempfield High School