[SML] Platforming to go on the road

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 15:31:48 UTC 2017

I just built a set with two, two-story wagons with a spiral staircases. After tipping the top platform upside down and bolting the legs in each corner, we tipped it 90 degrees onto its side carefully guarding the legs, then wrapped a couple of huge bowlines around the platform and a batten. A couple of my HS kids and I raised the batten to lift the platform with leg assembly up, while other students gently slid the whole thing into the legs-down position and then guided each corner into place on the lower wagon while the fly crew and I gently lowered it in. With cross-bracing and the stairs, they are very sturdy.

With ACTF, you don't know for certain that you will have at the space, though.

Does it have to be 8' high? I cut mine in so that the platform is closer to 7' and wish I would have taken off another 6" as it would still clear performer's heads and be just a touch less "tall" visually.

Can you make the platforms 4'x4' rather than 4'x8'?

Can you use some kind of pre-existing platform system?  (Tait makes things this tall for touring that assemble in minutes.)

Can you use a crank-up Genie lift or a drywall lift to help carry the weight?

What kind of truck are you using to transport from school to Indy?

Old-school parallels with a drop-in top platform might be a solution, too.

HTH

Kristi R-C
(Who never thought she'd be able to offer advice on scenic build... but here she is playing TD and loving it. Thanks to lots of folks here.)