[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Tue Jan 10 03:59:55 UTC 2017

Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> Ok, so I thought this would be easy  and cheap.... guess not.  Giant
> styrofoam ballz are really expensive.  I mean REALLY expensive.
>
> Here's what I'm looking to do: two topiary:  an 18" diameter ball (of
> fake boxwood, or whatever), with a 12" diameter ball above that... and
> above that, a cone that's 10 to 12" at the bottom, up to the point,
> about 2' tall.
>
> And I'm building two of them.
>
> What would YOU recommend?
>
> It's more of a stylized thing... Restoration comedy... lovers hiding
> behind over-the-top topiary...
Build a wooden framework (think ribs, like a japanese lantern), cover
with bird netting and shove sprigs of fake greenery (or, for that
matter, fan-folded green tissue paper) into the holes (in one, out of
one next to it). Ditto for the cone. Stack them on a large diameter
dowel. Should cost significantly less, except in shop time.

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org