[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Tue Jan 10 04:04:46 UTC 2017

On 1/9/2017 8:44 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> Ok, so I thought this would be easy  and cheap.... guess not.  Giant
> styrofoam ballz are really expensive.  I mean REALLY expensive.
>
> Here's what I'm looking to do: two topiary:  an 18" diameter ball (of
> fake boxwood, or whatever), with a 12" diameter ball above that... and
> above that, a cone that's 10 to 12" at the bottom, up to the point,
> about 2' tall.
>
> And I'm building two of them.
>
> What would YOU recommend?
>
> It's more of a stylized thing... Restoration comedy... lovers hiding
> behind over-the-top topiary...

Steel rebar or rods for internal structure.  Get the help from someone
who does rebar, and their tools, to bend it into desired trunk and
branch shapes. Wrap rebar in burlap or something more fire retardant to
make the trunk.  Paint artistically to look like a main trunk of the
bush.  I have used threaded rods as well, but you will want to use ones
that are black oxide finished instead of bright shiny metal.  Threaded
rods are a bit more brittle than rebar, so they break if you bend them
too sharply.

   Create sub-branches with stiff steel wire from the rebar branches.
(wire coat hangers)  Cover with foliage area with chicken wire to create
the shape desired.  Weave in artificial greenery to the chicken wire to
give plantlike appearance.    Like a real topiary, the green leafy zone
is very dense with greenery, but the insides are essentially nothing but
bare branches.

    Extra weights at bottom to keep the thing from wobbling too much if
someone brushes against it.   If the thing is to be actively handled by
the actors, lots more weight in the bottom and maybe an air bearing with
small tank of compressed air to float it for movement.   May want to
create a garden bench or some such as part of the piece to increase the
base area of the topiary for additional stability.

     The rebar structure will allow it to wiggle and wobble a bit like a
real plant if one of the actors bump up against it or wants to use it as
part of the stage business.   If you are not comfortable working with
rebar and welding the steel wires, you can use plywood and such for the
internal structure, but you will need to make the fake foliage a lot
more dense to hide that structure.   Take the time to file down all the
sharp points and edges of the steel, as it will seek to feed on the
blood of your stage crew and the fibers of your clothing every time you
need to touch it.

Dale