[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Tue Jan 10 16:47:11 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Steel rebar or rods for internal structure.  Get the help from someone who
> does rebar, and their tools, to bend it into desired trunk and branch
> shapes.

Rebar? Welding?  Oof... I think that's all too much for this project.
No one will see it up close enough to see inside the tight leaves to
see the branch structure.  Like you said, the real thing is pretty
much empty, leafless-ness inside, but I don't need all this structure.
Indeed, as you suggest, there will be beefy bases though... each
topiary will sit in large planters, that will also be sit-able, so
I'll easily be able to get some stability, for sure.

Pat: I'm liking your idea as well... I'm thinking of bands of
something bendable, but rigid, then covering it with a mesh, and yeah,
stuffing it with leafage (although I like the idea of the tissue
paper, and supplement that with leafage as well).

Taco: the spray foam idea is appealing as well... as I think about it,
I may be able to combine all the above: an armature, with a ribbed
structure and mesh, expanding foam, then smoothed/carved, then leafed.
Hmm......

Wonder if I know anyone at Studio Concepts anymore (parade float builders).....

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com