[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Tue Jan 10 18:53:04 UTC 2017

Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Steel rebar or rods for internal structure.  Get the help from someone who
>> does rebar, and their tools, to bend it into desired trunk and branch
>> shapes.
> Rebar? Welding?  Oof... I think that's all too much for this project.
> No one will see it up close enough to see inside the tight leaves to
> see the branch structure.  Like you said, the real thing is pretty
> much empty, leafless-ness inside, but I don't need all this structure.
> Indeed, as you suggest, there will be beefy bases though... each
> topiary will sit in large planters, that will also be sit-able, so
> I'll easily be able to get some stability, for sure.
>
> Pat: I'm liking your idea as well... I'm thinking of bands of
> something bendable, but rigid, then covering it with a mesh, and yeah,
> stuffing it with leafage (although I like the idea of the tissue
> paper, and supplement that with leafage as well).
If I were doing it on the cheap and in a hurry, and was certain no
actors would be knocking into the topiaries, I might actually try using
paper globe lanterns - you could probably find them at almost any Asian
market, and if you wrapped them in mesh that might just work. It would
be cheap enough to make one globe to test it out!

--
Pat Kight