[SML] Ganging seats

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:31:05 UTC 2017

I've been told by several AHJs that zip-tying them in groups of five is
acceptable. If there is enough space between rows, securing them together
is no longer necessary. Just don't  block handicap spaces.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Duncan Mahoney via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> While the correct answer is whatever your AHJ says it is, I have always
> been told by my AHJs here in Los Angeles that any row of 3 seats or more
> must be ganged.
>

> Depending on your AHJ, the ganging method may not have to be manufactured
> by the OEM of the chairs.  In our case, medium-heavy weight cable ties have
> proven acceptable for ganging folding chairs.  We have some chairs for
> which the OEM ganging brackets are expensive, difficult to install, and
> bend rapidly into non-functional shapes.  We were able to fabricate some
> interlocking sheet metal tabs which we tech screwed into the legs of the
> chairs which have proven far more durable and satisfactory, both to us and
> the AHJ.
>

> Duncan Mahoney
>
> Director of Technical Direction
>
> Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
>
> University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts

/s/ Richard
_________