[SML] Ganging seats

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Tue Jan 31 20:18:02 UTC 2017

While the correct answer is whatever your AHJ says it is, I have always been told by my AHJs here in Los Angeles that any row of 3 seats or more must be ganged.

Depending on your AHJ, the ganging method may not have to be manufactured by the OEM of the chairs.  In our case, medium-heavy weight cable ties have proven acceptable for ganging folding chairs.  We have some chairs for which the OEM ganging brackets are expensive, difficult to install, and bend rapidly into non-functional shapes.  We were able to fabricate some interlocking sheet metal tabs which we tech screwed into the legs of the chairs which have proven far more durable and satisfactory, both to us and the AHJ.

Duncan Mahoney
Director of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts