[SML] UPDATE: Supertitles Screen brainstorming

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 13:40:31 UTC 2017

	Some months back, I asked for suggestions on creating a screen for Supertitles. I want to thank everyone that responded both on - and off list. I just wanted to update y’all on what I came up with in the end.

	After weighing several options, I decided on a grey velour. (I liked the idea of using Gerriets Black Opera Cyc, but the cost was out of the budget.) I had Syracuse Scenery sew a 6’ x 28’ panel, with a pipe pocket along each long edge.

	To keep it rigid, yet relatively light, I used 1” EMT for both top and bottom pipes (2 10’ and an 8’) at top and bottom. To connect them together, I built internal splices, each consisting of two 10” “Mending plates”, one of which I drilled and tapped two ¼-20 holes and used short set screws. By tightening the set screws, the two plates were spread, holding tightly to the interior of the pipe. Finally, I drilled holes on the ends of the pipe to access said screws.

	As it had to hang in front of the curtain, (The most downstage lineset), I had to dead-hang the screen. The four pic points were bridled to a pair of ropes which were anchored by “Rabbit Ear” rope clamps I had built long ago from Delbert’s plans. (Thanks Delbert!)

	The Supertitles were run from Powerpoint, through the theatre’s 22,000 lumen digital Cinema projector and the results were fantastic.

	In the final analysis, the text was not overpowering, but was clearly legible, the client was thrilled with the result, and - after removing the pipes - the entire screen folds up into a very small package for storage ’till next time.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.