[SML] Exhibit Lighting

Steve Boone sboone at bgsu.edu
Fri Jul 28 16:29:30 UTC 2017

I’ve seen a couple of stained glass and art glass installations lit by LED panels (like Bill Conner’s link).  They are stunning.  -really stunning.  They are surprisingly thin.

I also saw something at a museum in Winston-Salem NC around 1980 that was surprisingly realistic.  I’m thinking the museum was MESDA, but I don’t remember for sure.
The exhibit was designed to look like rooms (like the second floor of an IKEA store), and the different rooms were full of $$$$ examples of different periods, different types of rooms in a house, …  Most of the rooms had a window or two with faux daylight coming through them (not direct sun, but just a blue sky looking backing outside of the window).
The way they lit the backing, which was very close to the window (6 to 8 inches), was with four daylight fluorescent tubes mounted on the back of the flats, one on each side + top and bottom of the window, with a white-painted flat piece of plywood acting as a reflector for the tube.  The backing was painted with a very realistic, friendly sky blue color.  So for you it would mean you’d have to have flats and/or masking to keep the audience from getting an eye-full of fluorescent tubes and spill light.

And, lastly, in my super-cheap days of summer stock theatre, we would simply put white tissue paper (the kind that separates sheets of gel) on the back of stained glass windows, with scotch tape from the box office, and light it wth a backlight. (yes, I know—you have a wall in the way)  In your application you’d have to light it with a kind of ground row or side light position with something like border lights/mini strips.  And the heat would definitely be a problem, unless you could get several LED worklights from Lowes or Home Depot.

Steve Boone,
BGSU, Dept. of Theatre and Film