[SML] HVAC Friendly haze from yesteryear

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 13:25:22 UTC 2017

mburris via Stagecraft wrote:
> Sometime in the early part of this century, I worked local crew for Kenny Rogers.
>
> They used a hazer that used simply water.
I think what you are describing to is generally referred to as a mister. They are mostly sold for the purpose of cooling the air in an outdoor setting in desert climates. Sort of an outdoor A/C.
Though, I have no experience with using any of them, but I imagine the size of the water droplets is an important consideration.  I vaguely recall reading about them years ago, and one issue that was mentioned is that even the better systems tended to drip large water droplets from the nozzles.  I would also imagine that they increase the humidity, and therefore increase the load on the A/C system unless the climate at the venue is already fairly dry.

>The haze had a long hang time and did not trigger our smoke detectors/fire alarms.
 It is also possible that, for stage use, they may have added something like glycerine to help the fog linger. There are two types of smoke sensors.  The cheapest, and the ones used in homes detect the ionized gasses a fire. These do not sense theatrical fog of any kind. The other kind detects particles in the air, and large venues are required to have them in addition to the ionized gas detectors.  The particle detectors are, by their nature, sensitive to ANY kind of fog or haze, even water.  Though, I think the water misters tend to produce a cool and heaver fog than other methods, and therefore tend to stay closer to the ground. This way they avoid getting to the smoke detectors.

Below are a few links to the type of system I am talking about.http://aquamisters.com/
https://www.cloudtops.com/fog_system_kits_index.html

-Joe