[SML] Changing definitions.

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 04:11:08 UTC 2017

Posted by Dale Farmer via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
>The big brains at the National Institute of Standards have figured out
>how to count individual electrons.  So they are redefining the ampere
>as a base unit based on that.
While we do live in an age where U.S. judges redefine words, to grant themselves the power to change laws, without having to bother with Constitutional methods, I don't think National Institute is doing that.
Back when I was taking electronics, in the late 80's, I was taught that an Amp is a coulomb per second, and that a coulomb is a specific number of electrons.
I see on Wikipedia, that the SI definition is different.  But it adds, "In the future, the SI definition may shift back to charge as the base unit, with the coulomb defined in terms of the elementary charge on electrons and protons (one coulomb equals the charge of roughly 6.242×1018 protons)."
So, this "redefinition" is really just returning to the original definition.
-Joe