[SML] Unwanted Strobing

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Fri Mar 3 04:38:56 UTC 2017

The equipment has no knowledge of universe  1 or 2 or 6.

The DMX line is just that, a line.

Assuming your venue is similar to mine, your console has 2 DMX outputs, and you've split them so (A) is address 1 - 512 (Uni 1), and (B) is 513 - 1024 (Uni 2).
The building has 2 DMX lines.  (A) goes straight to the dimmer racks, and (B) goes to a repeater, and is distributed through the building.

The equipment on Uni 2 only knows it's address as 1-512, even though the console **appears** to be using 513-1024.  My console (Ion) can list the dimmers as 2/001 instead of 513 (IE uni 2 address 1).

Does that answer your question?

Plug your tester into the stage DMX output.  Universe doesn't matter.
Plug your tester into the end of the line of equipment (come out of the last device).  Is the signal the same quality as going into that sequence of devices?

Check all the cables through the Tester.  Or test some spare cables, replace all the cables with your checked cables, and check the old cables at your leisure.

Good Luck.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director, Head Lighting Technician
Chan Centre for the Performing Arts

604-822-2372
andrew.riter at ubc.ca<mailto:andrew.riter at ubc.ca>