[SML] Supertitles Screen brainstorming

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 13:56:52 UTC 2017

On 3/18/17 5:19 PM, Bruce Purdy via Stagecraft wrote:

> The producers had the Theatre test their in-House digital cinema
> projector on the slightly lowered main curtain and apparently liked
> what they saw. Now they want me to design and build a projection
> screen to hang from a DS batten. They want it to be 6’ tall by 28’
> wide!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but they really need to talk to
other opera companies to see what size screen they use.  Our campus
opera program has a 4x12 muslin-covered flat (with a fantastic paint job
by their designer).  This is a little short, but we only have to adjust
3-4 slides per production to make them fit.  28' wide just raises all
sorts of other issues, as you have indicated.

If the projector is the prime mover here, they should look into other
lenses, or changing font sizes to make the text fit.  An audience isn't
going to be able to read 28 feet of text and pay attention to the stage
action.

As far as fitting it between your valance and your legs, how tall is
your valance?  Hiding a 9x 12 screen really only requires that you hid
3' behind the valance, and if you have a 3' or larger valance you can
just hang off the valance batten with appropriate length cable.

Steve L.
--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall