[SML] Anyone use VR in the (technical theatre) classroom?

Tanner Tanner at protechlv.com
Tue Mar 21 16:19:35 UTC 2017

This is an interesting topic! I first heard it being discussed at COFES
about 10 years ago, long before consumer VR was a possibility.

In the construction world we've been seeing a steady increase in
requirements for 3D BIM integration during the design and engineering
phases. This started with only one or two trades (often structural and
mechanical), but it has expanded to several others. When done correctly, the
benefits are tremendous as far as collision avoidance, finding scope gaps,
and coordination between trades. Being able to do conduct a site visit
digitally will save untold sums. However, it also has the draw back (like
anything else) of "garbage in/garbage out" if not set up accurately and it
can sometimes be over-relied on despite its flaws. A number of architects
I've spoken with dislike it for that reason.

I know of one other manufacturer who has successfully used VR to mock up and
demo design/build work for clients. As the technology for physics
simulation, advanced rendering, etc picks up there is a ton of potential for
VR's use as a prototyping and design tool. The problem now is how much
computing horsepower is required - and it's not cheap.

I agree that industrial training will be one of its biggest growth sectors
in the coming years. Imagine a surgeon being able to practice all manners of
complications that could occur during an operation - the same as a pilot
does now in a simulator. Cool stuff!

Tanner Brants
PM, PDM

Protech Theatrical