[SML] Black floor/tape question

Kim Hartshorn hartshwk at plattsburgh.edu
Thu Mar 23 19:18:26 UTC 2017

For many years we had a dance floor in our studio that we made up of 1" blu
styrofoam, 1/4 masonite and old marly.  The 1/4 masonite was taped with
gaff tape on the underside on the seams.  We did this by applying the tape,
upside down, to one edge and then laying the adjoing sheet next to it and
stomping it down.  The 1/4 floor simply floated on the styrofoam and the
marley simply floated on top of that.  It held together without alterations
for 10 years until we replaced it with a legitimate dance floor.  I have
also held 1/4 masonite floors together using aluminum flashing sprayed with
adhesive at the corners and 2' spacings along the edges...again only
attached to the adjoining sheets and allowed to float on the actual stage
deck.  Sometimes allowing masonite to live the way it wants to instead of
forcing it to sit still actually yields better results :-)

 fwiw

Kim