[SML] Anyone use VR in the (technical theatre) classroom?

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Sat Mar 25 17:25:50 UTC 2017

Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hi folks... just wanted to share something a student did in class this
> week, as we played with VR and Tilt Brush, specifically.  No one in
> the class had ever used Tilt Brush, nor had anyone ever "created"
> anything in VR. (I think a couple had experience with some games in
> VR.)
>
> On the first day, each student pretty much just drew/painted swirlies,
> sparklies, blobs and such.... just playing and getting a feel for it.
> But one student, who has never worn VR headgear, or done anything like
> this, got right to work, and "designed" a Disney-esque gown on her
> very first try.  The class was mesmerized.  I have the video here:
> https://youtu.be/4-ZYPL7Wemg
>
> The "sketch" was saved, and when re-loaded in Tilt Brush, it replays
> every stroke, which was a cool surprise.  It plays back every stroke,
> as you walk around it and observe from all sides.
>
> As Maria was creating it, someone suggested she "put on" the dress,
> and she did: she stepped into it, and was able to continue painting,
> while wearing it.  Very interesting perspective from a designer's or
> stitcher's perspective!
That's pretty cool! My nephew-in-law, who works for Microsoft, is
working on a semi-secret project creating VR experiences aimed, in part,
at giving people with mobility issues a chance to experience real-world
places and activities they might not otherwise have the opportunity to
do, such as taking - and controlling - a hot-air balloon ride above
Venice. I tested it out during a recent visit and it was pretty
mind-blowing; minute finger gestures allow the headset wearer to take
command of the virtual universe, navigating through it and manipulating
certain objects. I immediately began thinking of applications in
theatrical design/experiences...
--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org