[SML] SM monitor camera

John McAfee jrpmcafee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 02:35:24 UTC 2017

I'd like to dredge this topic up, if I may.  Currently we have 3 Panasonic
AW-HE50SN cameras in our main stage (and one in our Recital Hall) that run
to archival video recorders and monitors in the booth.  They're nice
cameras, but there is no IR and there is no easy way to watch the feed
online (as near as I can tell).  The next model (which I think some people
on here have) got both those upgrades.

The biggest issue is that there is no tie in to the monitor in the green
room (or any other space).  They only run to their respective booths.  The
green room has a cable hook up, so I might be able to hijack that to run a
feed (we have no cable service in the building), but that makes me a little
anxious.

I'm currently toying around with the idea of finding something that will
broadcast on a network and then hooking up a raspberry pi to the green room
monitor for the internet stream.

Of course there's no budget for this, so I'm looking to proof-of-concept
out of pocket.  Any recommendations for a simple camera with IR and network
streaming?  Currently leaning towards a Foscam that I can get for 50 bucks
from monoprice, but the IR visibility distance is limited.

Has anyone used a raspberry pi for a simple video stream?  Does it have the
brains?  Am I making things overly complicated? (Am I using enough
parentheses?)

John