[SML] Updating Dimmers (was Strand C21 thread)

Kim Hartshorn hartshwk at plattsburgh.edu
Thu May 25 19:18:14 UTC 2017

I have to agree with George

"
Last, why are you installing dimmers, LED's and relay panels are the future
and substantially less money, if you need dimming for specific devices get
some single channel units

George"

I think racked dimmers at this point are a bad investment.  Several years
ago we replaced our original install (1970's era Kliegl 36 dimmer and patch
panel) with comapny switches, portable ETC Sensors and Multi Cable.  Part
of the reason for this is that in addition to the dimmers needing a
complete overhaul, the dedicated electrics had reached the end of their
service life with brittle, cracking insulation.  If your upgrade is
including anything beyond simply a one for one replacement of the rack I
would look for a different solution.  We are now perfectly situated to move
to LED's with onboard dimming, controllable fixtures, distributed power and
control.  I doubt we will ever buy another dimmer module.  It is also more
consistent with what our students will find on the road.

We are extremely happy with our decision to entirely skip the
dimmer/circuit racked dimmer era :-)