[SML] PC based DMX console with reliable iPad remote software

Stephen Braun sbraun1 at twcny.rr.com
Fri May 26 03:16:07 UTC 2017

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for all of the great advice over the years.

I've been trying to use (an un-named) pc based DMX controller for a few
years now, just because I want to be able to use an iPad/iPhone based
wireless, remote control app.

There are many work days at my venue, where I must focus my conventional
stage lights from a variety of hanging positions that are difficult for me
to get to.  I have to assemble a scaffold daily, in my auditorium, just to
focus my F.O.H wash.   I would like to have a wireless, iPad app solution
for a focus remote that works consistently.

The system that I have chosen to work with so far, has always been
unreliable, and I am ready to entertain some suggestions on what to use
instead.

Just to be clear, I am not necessarily looking for suggestions for a
replacement pc based 'show-controller'.  I already have a reliable,
hardwired DMX controller.  I am only looking for a pc-based controller that
will provide a reliable, wireless,  remote app via an iPad/iPhone.

I have:
 - a pc laptop, running Windows 7, dedicated to only the stage lighting.
No other apps, except a web browser to download any updates.  I do have
access to other brands of pc's and versions of OS.
 - this laptop is hardwired to my own, private, wireless network, set up in
my venue, so I'm not competing for bandwidth or dealing with firewalls, or
any other users.  Just the laptop, running the DMX control software.
 -  two ENTTEC USB DMX Pro devices available, for my laptop to send DMX to
my ETC dimmer racks.
 - only 250 DMX addresses, for 198 conventional dimmers, and 2 Rosco iCues,
3 GAM gobo rotators, 15 Wybron For-runners.
 -  an iPad 2, an iPad Air, and an iPhone 6, to run the remote-control app.

I do have a few hundred dollars to put towards this, so I can purchase new
software, and USB/DMX converters if necessary.

Thanks again for any input.

Cheers,
sfb

Stephen F Braun