[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Nov 21 13:17:33 UTC 2017

> Big picture, cost and ease and safety - something like a catwalk -
> maybe a "cat crawl" - is hard to beat.  Its just the conclusion I've
> come to after looking at all the combinations of bringing the light to
> the people, the people to the lights, and remote focusing options.
> Any good safe solution that that uses tungsten halogen and doesn't
> have permanent access really requires being able to raise and lower
> lights - and that's expensive.  You get to about 4 to 6 automated
> units before a catwalk is cheaper - initially let along repairing and
> replacing the automated units.

Catwalks are not feasible, although they would be my preference. The floor to
ceiling height is too low. Plus, catwalks would obscure the view of the stage
from the tech booth.

> But without height and unlimited funds its tough.  Its why I'm so
> insistent in new builds to get good technical circulation everywhere
> with head clearances and good stairs if at all possible, not the
> ladders, ships ladders, alternating tread devices, and such too often
> used where a stair could be used.  But depends on your space.  Just
> don't overlook all the virtues of good fixed access - safety and speed
> being too often overlooked.

Unlimited funding is not available, or we would already have permanent trusses
and a bunch of moving lights.

But the BOD thinks they can get a donor to fund motorized trusses up to around
$30,000 or so.

I hate bounce focus, but currently believe it is the best solution for a
varying volunteer staff. As I do a fair share of the lighting designs and
hangs, it would also be easiest for me - I turned 70 this last summer and am
not nearly as vigorous as I used to be.

Bill