[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:48:18 UTC 2017

Big picture, cost and ease and safety - something like a catwalk -
maybe a "cat crawl" - is hard to beat.  Its just the conclusion I've
come to after looking at all the combinations of bringing the light to
the people, the people to the lights, and remote focusing options.
Any good safe solution that that uses tungsten halogen and doesn't
have permanent access really requires being able to raise and lower
lights - and that's expensive.  You get to about 4 to 6 automated
units before a catwalk is cheaper - initially let along repairing and
replacing the automated units.

Which gets back to catwalks etc.  I don't like the bonus's chair plus
you have to  have motorized tracks as there is not a OSHA practical
means to get into one in the air short of a big landing at height, and
then you've spent the money for something better.  I've played with
the idea of a "creeper" on rails - a kind of cat crawl without a floor
but just a rolling seat.  Probably partly my personal aversion to
sitting with air with feet dangling.

But without height and unlimited funds its tough.  Its why I'm so
insistent in new builds to get good technical circulation everywhere
with head clearances and good stairs if at all possible, not the
ladders, ships ladders, alternating tread devices, and such too often
used where a stair could be used.  But depends on your space.  Just
don't overlook all the virtues of good fixed access - safety and speed
being too often overlooked.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC