[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Sun Nov 26 17:51:57 UTC 2017

> I don't know how we'll ever afford, or store, even the simplest of these
> solutions. The real sticking point, though, for almost all of these options,
> is setting it up and moving it around the room over and over and over until
> you are happy with the design. That makes the idea of a truss/catwalk awfully
> attractive.
>
> My experience at other boxes leaves me with a real distaste for bounce focus,
> but even that would be better than the ladder work we're doing now.

Thanks for your input. Like you, I hate bounce focus and it is the most
expensive solution. But something needs to be done, and we currently have a
BOD that is willing to try finding/funding an improvement.

I agree that set-up, moving and storing are major concerns. Most of the
volunteers would probably be unwilling to be trained in doing so. That reduces
the desirability of motorized electrics, the Straddle and scaffolding. But it
is extremely difficult to get volunteers to help with lighting, primarily
because they are unwilling to contend with the hook ladder - or any kind of
ladder at that height.

The BOD thinks they can get a donor to provide $30,000+ to fund the upgrade,
primarily based on the safety hazards of using the hook ladder.

Unless the group can come up with other possible solutions, I best like the
idea of the mobile catwalk on tracks fastened to the HL and HR walls. It is
possibly the least expensive of the various proposed solutions, and would
require the least training for people whom are not tech savvy. My biggest
concern is whether the existing walls can support such a system without adding
bracing. A lesser concern is whether it would be a problem storing it over the
back row of seats when not in use.

Bill