[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

Alex French flaggday at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 14:33:53 UTC 2017

Bill,

>From everything you describe, a Little Giant may not be the perfect
long-term solution, but I suspect it would be a big improvement over your
current setup, at a very small cost compared to any of the other options
you're talking about.

Based on the height numbers you listed (11' foot height gets your 5'9" head
to pipe level), you would have two reasonable options:

-Any of the "normal" Little Giant models (range of cost/weight/features) in
Model 26 would probably just be tall enough to do what you need while being
used safely

-The Skyscraper Model 15 (the smallest Skyscraper) would give you plenty
more height than you need

Like Mike Katz says, I would definitely bet that you can make the leg
situation work in your seats.  I'm a big fan of Little Giants just like
Mike (and in part because of Mike).

Either of those (especially the non-Skyscraper models) are a very small
storage footprint, a versatile tool, and not a lot of money Easier to train
any volunteer to use (well and safely) than an extension ladder, and far
easier than a Genie or scaffold.  In general I would rather work on a
Little Giant than a standard extension ladder, and depending on the use I
would often much rather use a Little giant than a Genie or even a small
scaffold.

If I were you, I would try to get an appropriate Little Giant ASAP and get
used to using it while continuing to consider what other expensive
complicated options could work.  It sounds like you have a lot of
constraints (the building itself, the space above, the space below, storage
space, the skills of volunteers, physical capabilities of the primary
users, money).  It sounds like it would be a much better solution than what
you have, at low cost, that is versatile, that doesn't come with any
long-term overhead of significant maintenance or future de-commissioning.

Alex French