[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Thu Nov 23 07:12:44 UTC 2017

> The BilJax base units are 29" wide so they should fit into your aisle
> space. You can clamp on the outriggers once positioned in the seating area.

I was originally thinking that scaffolding would have to be used running
up/down the auditorium - which means they would have to be moved a lot. And
the frame length would have to be right for the legs to fit between the rows.

By running them parallel to the seat rows, a number of lighting positions
could be serviced with one placement. But I don't know if outriggers could be
used in that orientation. I will have to measure some seat depths and free
legroom.

Also, unless screw jacks are available for the casters, this orientation
cannot be used with out raked floor. I would want such a short span, even with
outriggers, to be almost perfectly level.

The final problem is where to store the scaffolding when not in use. There is
no free wall space or available utility room. Storing it overhead in the shop
is probably out of the question.

> These are 'stock in trade' for most local rental yards so maybe rent one
> for a half-day and see if it will negotiate your terrain. I think that
> would be easier and more productive than a tabletop simulation.

I don't know if the local equipment rental places have such scaffolding - I
have never seen any. Staging/lift rental companies are a long way from the
Albany/Corvallis area.

Bill