[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 15:25:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Has there been discussion of a focus track mounted behind the FOH batten?
> You'd still need a ladder to access the chair, but the cost would be better
> than some of the custom-engineered solutions we're throwing around.
>
> A 30' focus track is $2804 on the Sapsis site.  There would be installation
> costs, of course, and only your local contractor can guesstimate that.
>
> Steve L.

Stephen- how do you transfer from ladder to bosuns chair in the air
and come close to being complaint  with  any safety regulations?  The
only way I have made this work is with the track on a winch so you can
board on the floor.  I once designed - never built - a "landing with
caged ladder at one end so you would ascend ladder and board chair
over the landing, open gate, and track out behind batten.  (Doubled
dutied landing to do some lighting.)

Its same with a catwalk.  I tried to  have a catwalk in center of
gymnatorium with access by genie but you technically can enter and
exit a genie - or a scissors lift - at height.  I have, but I don't
think OSHA allows it.  I suppose with personal fall protection while
transferring its might be allowed.

Just curious what you  have seen that is safe.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC