[SML] pipe grid question

Bill Sapsis bill at sapsis-rigging.com
Tue Oct 10 02:04:46 UTC 2017

Richard

Your Clancy half clamps notwithstanding, my experience with pipe grids says that the weakest point is usually the hanging detailed, especially when the install was done by a non-theatrical company.

threaded rod, especially the cheap stuff they use on grids, is pretty brittle.  It doesn’t like to bend or twits.  But that’s what happens to it when you add lights to the grid and then take them off.

The detail at the ceiling usually resembles a sprinkler pipe installation.  C-clamp style beam clamps loading on one side of the bottom flange only.  Again, not happy with the load on/load off scenario.

Load rated full flange center pull beam clamps with chain or wire rope is the way to go.  A little flexibility in the grid is a good thing.  Oak tree -v- willow tree.

We typically use 45 lbs per linear ft of pipe to determine the load rating on fate grid.  this includes self weight. Personally,  I would never use those 200# RWL clamps on a pipe grid.  The full batten clamp has a rating of 750 #.  A much happier connection.

Zat help?

Bill

bill at sapsis-rigging.com
http://www.sapsis-rigging.com