[SML] pipe grid question

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 16 15:57:58 UTC 2017

Last week I had some questions about our pipe grids here at Cornell.  You might remember we had half batten clamps and the CU engineers were not happy.   Well……..we bought some full batten clamps to replace the halfs but the holes didn’t line up.   We jury rigged something but when we finally took down the half clamp  …..it had no “makers” stamp or other info so we couldn’t tell who’s it was.   It was  close to if not 3/16 steel rathe than the 11 ga  (1/8”) Clancy makes theirs out of.,, as I mentioned, the holes don’t align with today’s Clancy clamp..the clamp steel above the pipe bend  is longer,  there are two holes in the clamp above the pipe  for bolts to tighten the clamp around the pipe and a third hole for attaching it to whatever might be used to hang the clamp (in our case it is a clevis fitting on  threaded rod)

Any body have any idea who might have made this beam clamp?   There are no markings on the cross grid connectors either.    Building was built 1986-88.    Clamp looks much more robust than present JR Clancy 1/2 clamp so we are wondering if it has a higher load rating.   We’d certainly like to avoid replacing all these clamps in this and our  five other spaces with fixed grids.  Present day Clancy clamps have load ratings stamped in.  H&H  clamps have manufacturer stamp (but no load rating)

DickA
TD, Cornell U