[SML] Wireless Connection to Projector

Wayne Rasmussen rasmuw at blair.edu
Thu Oct 26 20:08:52 UTC 2017

> Could you just install a computer in the booth, dump their presentations
on to it and hand them a clicker?  That's what I do for 90% of my
presenters here.  (the other 10% get a hard-wired connection from lectern
to booth.)<

That's what we do now, with an IR repeater.  Since we don't have a
dedicated line for a clicker, and the booth is too far away from the stage
for Bluetooth to work, we've plugged a repeater into a mic line and have
the emitter come out of the patch bay and face the back of the projector.
The projector is then connected to the presenting computer via USB.  The
challenge for presenters is that the receiver is on the floor and they
like to point the remote at the screen.  Going backwards is also difficult
with the remote we have for the projector.

When presenters want to do multiple tasks, the challenges with the remote
increase.  I've tried connecting a computer with a VGA to cat5 dongle
attached to the output of the computer and another cat5 to VGA dongle on
the other end in the booth but have had some sync issues I think due to
the 200 feet I estimate the run to be.  We haven't purchased an HDMI to
cat5 dongle for current computers since I don't expect the connection to
be any more reliable.

Wayne Rasmussen
Blair Academy