[SML] LED Shadow projectors

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 03:37:36 UTC 2018

  illuminati500 via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:> There is, of course a perfectly good shadow projector lamp Its cheap > to make, ...snip.. Its the compact filament incandescent of course,

I think the attraction of the LED, especially the 5mm traditional shape, is that they are little spotlights unto themselves.  It was easy to think they would just increase the power of those little guys, perhaps only scaling them up a bit in size.  But, temperature is the LED's worst enemy, much more so than the incandescent.  So, the higher power ones went to the COB design, with the large disk that the light emits from.
But, some have built things like the 1000w equiv. Watercooled LED Sun Blaster.  However, I don't know how large the ... I don't know the term, but I am interested in the apparent aperture size from which the light emits.
For shadows on the scale of an entire stage, I can see how a projector bulb would be a good choice.  Though, the output beam spread of a projector itself is probably too narrow.  I have never tried to power up a bulb from a projector. I know some are incandescent, which would be a fairly easy hack.  The discharge lamp kind are something else entirely.
-Joe