[SML] Stagecraft Digest Question about TERRA NOVA

gbierly at dejazzd.com gbierly at dejazzd.com
Mon Aug 27 13:14:08 UTC 2018

> On Aug 26, 2018, at 11:16 AM, Ruth Neeman via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> Hello
> Is anyone on the list familiar or has been involved in a production of Terra Nova by Ted Tally - The story of the race to the south pole between Scott and Amundsen?
> Working on ideas how to portray the Antarctic landscape as well as looking for someone that may have access to the sled prop that is needed for this play.
> The play will be produced in early 2019.
> Any thoughts are welcome.

Fun story.  I actually got married on the set of “Terra Nova” Saturday afternoon between the Friday and Saturday evening performances at Millersville University in ’92.  They did the show in thrust with some tiered iceberg platforms at the one end.  There were three triangles of sail cloth on the ice flow.  They painted the floor of the thrust to match with a few ice chunks sticking up.   We added chairs on floor level thrust for the wedding and many guest thought the set was built for our ceremony.

As to the sled, theirs was not a major construction.  I am sure they no longer have it since I have borrowed from the prop storage over the years.  I think it was some steam bent 2x2 runners with all 2x2 and framing with 1x slats.  Loaded with crates and sacks.  The only reason I got a look at it was while setting up Friday night after the production someone stood on it backstage to get something off a shelf and put their foot through the top of it.  We had to do a quick repair and fortunately my friend knew how to do a little scenic paint touch ups.  What we remember so many years later.  PM me if you want me to dig up some pictures.

Greg Bierly
Performing Arts Center Manager
Hempfield High School
greg_bierly at hempfieldsd(ORG)